10 Great Apps for House and Home
It is 2016 and everywhere you look, people are on their smart phones. We use them for directions, for calculations, to email, to text, to check up on our old boyfriends and some of us even talk on them. So, why not use them to find a new place to live or to revamp the one you have? Here are 10 great apps. We’d love for you to comment with your favorites too!
- Dwellr – This U.S. Census Bureau app will give you details about a particular area or neighborhood. If you are open to moving across the country, it will even give you ideas on what cities fit your lifestyle. This will give you demographics, facts and figures about your desired area as well. http://www.census.gov/mobile/dwellr/
- Walkscore – If you want to be able to walk or bike more than sit in a car or mass transit, this app will help figure out good areas for you to nest. You’ll find things like the fact that New York is the most walkable U.S. City and Minneapolis is best for biking. https://www.walkscore.com/cities-and-neighborhoods/
- GreatSchools – Do you have children or are you concerned with schools for rentability or resale? This app is for you. As I tell my clients, everyone has different needs and thoughts about what a great school is. You may have a special needs child who needs a program that caters to them or your daughter may be a tennis player and want to be somewhere where the tennis program is nationally recognized. This app will give you the resources to help you find the school that best fits your needs and objectives. http://www.greatschools.org
- Houzz – Thinking about remodeling, adding on, or building brand new? You will be able to spend hours (warning: time suck alert!) finding ideas. The best part is, you can also get bids and hire professionals to facilitate those dreams, right from the app. http://www.houzz.com
- Planner 5D – A MUST-HAVE if you are remodeling or building. This tool doesn’t take a degree to use. This is a great place to start if you are toying with ideas. Once you’re ready to pull the trigger, you can show your ideas and plans to the professionals who can bring your ideas to life in the best way possible. https://planner5d.com
- WikiHow – This is not just a home related app, but it is pretty cool. Want to know how to install a dimmer switch in the bedroom or make a perfect cheesecake? You can find it here. Disclaimer: I always think it’s a good idea to hire a professional, but for some small projects or tasks, I like the feeling of accomplishment when I take it on myself – as long as I don’t burn the house down! http://www.wikihow.com/Main-Page
- Iscape – This app is so fun. It allows you to upload a photo of your home or space and use the database to browse ideas of how to landscape. This could save you tons of time at the nursery trying to figure out what would look good framing the walkway and also help with color choices. http://www.iscapeapps.com
- Easy Measure and Smart Measure – It never fails, I need to measure something as I am running out the door and I can’t find the tape measure. These apps will be a lifesaver for those times. They can also help with calculations and conversions. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/easymeasure-measure-your-camera!/id349530105?mt=8 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kr.sira.measure&hl=en
- Bubble Level – You know that friend that will come over for dinner and will straighten a picture on your wall on their way to the kitchen for a refill? Yeah, that’s me. This is a necessary tool for anyone with the slightest bit of OCD! https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bubble-level-free-for-iphone/id465613917?mt=8 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gamma.bubblelevel&hl=en
- Flashlight – Kind of a no-brainer. Trying to find the ball that has rolled under the dresser because your dog won’t leave you alone until it is safe? Or maybe there is a storm, the electricity goes out and, of course, the batteries are dead in the flashlight. As long as you remembered to charge your phone, you can use this app to save the day or night. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flashlight-o/id381471023?mt=8 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.surpax.ledflashlight.panel&hl=en
BONUS!! If you are searching for properties in Tennessee, try our app http://hbsr.homescouting.com/myapp/71b71cee-74e4-4f1f-9879-1f1a2ffcc8e1 for the most accurate, user-friendly source of information.
Photo courtesy of digitalartvia freedigitalphotos.net
Michelle Froedge is a residential Realtor and Principal Broker in the Greater Nashville and Williamson County areas of Tennessee. Wife to Robert, “Mom” to Tyler and Livvie, Auntie to Zelamie, she is a vegetarian and sings in her spare time. Michelle has lived in Nashville and Franklin since 1997 and has been selling homes since 2004.