10 Things You Never Knew You Needed For Your Home
I see a lot of houses. With that, I see a lot of cool things for houses. I also see a lot of room for improvement. Here is a list of some things I have seen, things I own, and things I wish I did!
- Chick-A-Dee smoke detector http://www.dutchbydesign.com/chick-a-dee-smoke-alarm We all need a smoke detector. Now they don’t have to be ugly!
- U Socket http://www.homedepot.com/b/Electrical-Dimmers-Switches-Outlets/U-Socket/N-5yc1vZc34hZajk Plug your electronics in next to your light without the need for an adapter.
- Lego sockets http://www.yankodesign.com/2010/12/23/lets-play-lego-sockets/ How many things do you need plugged in next to your bed? A clock, a lamp, your phone, a diffuser, a sound machine, I could go on. The only problem, they can’t all go on one power cord because the plugs are different sizes. This is the solution.
- Nest https://nest.com/ I love this product. It is a thermostat that can be programmed from your phone, tablet, or computer. Think you forgot to turn the air up when you left for the day or don’t want it hot when you come home? You can set it or you can program a regular schedule. You can also choose to let the Nest learn your normal routine and set it for you. There are also a ton of products that work with Nest so you can breathe easy.
- Sonos http://www.sonos.com/en-us/home This is probably the one thing I am glad I don’t have to live without. I LOVE music. I love music in my house. I love music outside of my house. Am I clear? Instead of wires and the inability to take it with you, Sonos is a system that allows you to have speakers throughout the house, even outside. You can be listening to jazz in the kitchen while the kids are listening to Disney tunes in the playroom and your spouse is rocking out on the patio. Can be used with your personal music collection or internet radio stations.
- Wine Barrel vanity https://www.etsy.com/listing/69294830/wine-barrel-vanity-with-hammered-copper?source=aw&awc=6220_1473194889_47b46b8301333785c1cda3b2810620bc&utm_source=affiliate_window&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=us_location_buyer&utm_content=141392 Having just traveled to Napa Valley, California, I am wondering if there is a place for this in my house!
- Coloring wallpaper http://www.muralswallpaper.co.uk/collections/colour-in Do you have an artist in the house? Maybe you’d like to give the kids a room that is OK to color the walls in or just harness some of your inner child. This wallpaper could be a conversation starter or even a way to make your guests feel welcome and leave a bit of themselves with you, always.
- Grass rug https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A0FR6PG/?tag=097-20&ascsubtag=v4_1_4_3m3_147048_4_66638405702.70087602811 If you live in a highrise or you just don’t get outside much, bring the outside in and relax on this grass rug. I don’t know about it taking the stress away, but it sounds fun. Just keep it away from the dogs or you might find it to be a little too realistic.
- Floorplan Light Switch http://www.yankodesign.com/2011/03/02/know-your-switches/ Don’t you hate it when you’re ready to go to bed, turn off your bedroom lights and suddenly realize you left the light on upstairs? Turn your house lights on and off from one light switch – some assembly required. This could have solved many nighttime negotiations in our house.
- IMAX theater http://www.imaxprivatetheatre.com/en/index.html Finally, for the person that has it all, there’s this. Have your guests bring the 3-D glasses and snacks and have a party for the whole neighborhood!
Photo courtesy of cookie_cutter via freedigitalphotos.net
Michelle Froedge is a residential Realtor and Principal Broker in the Greater Nashville and Williamson County areas of Tennessee. “Mom” to four-legged fur babies, Tyler and Livvie, Auntie to Zelamie, she is a vegetarian and sings in her spare time. Michelle has lived in Nashville and Franklin since 1997 and has been selling homes since 2004.