7 Topics to Discuss When Interviewing a Property Manager
If you are an investor or would like to be, you may decide that the late night phone calls from tenants who have clogged their toilet is not something you want to handle. In that case, you will want to hire a Property Manager. It is a good idea to interview the company or person and make sure they meet your needs. Here are some tips on some things to discuss:
About the Company:
- How long have you been in business in this area? Are you licensed?
- Are you a full-time property manager?
- How many properties do you manage?
- Do you have assistants?
- Do you have a contract and references?
- Management, Leasing and Re-Leasing fees?
- Advertising and Showings?
- Inspections and Evictions?
- Late Fees?
- Hidden fees?
- Cancellation fees?
- Do you have a direct phone number:
- Do you have a direct email address?
- Do you have software that allows for communication?
- Do you have an office location?
- How do you advertise?
- Do you have yard signs?
- Are you open or available on weekends?
- Can you show me a sample of a “For Rent” ad?
- Do you advertise and/or show property when it is occupied?
- How do you handle maintenance?
- Do you have a list of preferred vendors?
- Do you have an emergency “after hours” line?
- Do you require a maintenance reserve?
- Do you provide monthly and yearly statements?
- Do you pay vendor bills for owners?
- When and How do owners get paid?
- Do you have a policy for monthly spending limits and/or approval?
- How do you screen applicants?
- Has your lease been reviewed by a real estate attorney?
- Do you have move-in/vacate checklists?
- How often do you inspect the property?
- How does your eviction process work?
Oxford Property Management is a locally owned management company in the Middle Tennessee area. They provide residential rental management services to property owners and investors and handle property advertising, tenant screening, lease signing, managing funds from security deposits and rent, property maintenance, financial accounting/reporting, and tenant removal and collections, if necessary. They offer low leasing fees, a tiered management fee structure that starts lower than average management companies and decreases with additional properties under management, and an in-house maintenance department to control repair costs. I have many clients and friends that use Oxford’s services and they all highly recommend them. Their website is: www.oxford-tn.com or you can reach them by phone at 615-309-6979.
Michelle Froedge is a residential Realtor and Principal Broker in the Greater Nashville and Williamson County areas of Tennessee. “Mom” to four-legged fur babies, Tyler and Livvie, Auntie to Zelamie, she is a vegetarian and sings in her spare time. Michelle has lived in Nashville and Franklin since 1997 and has been selling homes since 2004.