Affirmations to Reach Your Goals
I have had a business coach, going on three years. One of the very first things she had me do was write affirmations. I had to write 15 affirmations that I would then read every day. I had been taught this before. I had even written some, but I have no idea what happened to them and I only read them while I was taking the workshop. However, this time, I was determined to give it the good ‘ole college try. I wrote them thoughtfully – really focusing on my goals and how I wanted to change my life. I put copies in various places so that I had no excuse for not reading and reciting them every day. A crazy thing happened – IT WORKED! I began seeing the positive changes I was declaring daily. I was closer to my goals and new opportunities seemed to come out of nowhere. Here are a five simple steps:
- DEFINE YOUR GOALS. I separated my personal goals from my career goals to be much more focused. If you choose to combine your goals, you may want to list your personal affirmations first and then list career affirmations or vice versa.
- IDENTIFY THEMES. My goals could be broken into a few categories. Once I identified themes, I was able to streamline my affirmations based on those themes.
- WRITE AFFIRMATIONS. Looking through your themes and the corresponding goals, you will find there are certain things you need to improve or continue in order to achieve those goals. Your affirmations should be in the present tense, as if you are already doing what’s necessary, and are already where you want to be. For instance, if you want to lose weight, some affirmations may be: A) I am healthy and fit. B) I exercise every day because it makes me feel great. C) I have less stress because I work out regularly and eat nutritious meals. D) I make my health a priority by exercising daily and drinking water constantly.
- HANG IN A CONSPICUOUS PLACE. I have mine on my makeup table at home (yes, I have a makeup table, don’t judge) and on my monitor stand at the office. I printed them on bright colored cardstock so they cannot be missed. When others see the brightly colored list, I often get questioned. What better way to keep me in check than others reading it!
- READ ALOUD EVERY DAY. It is not enough just to see the list. You have to read it, take it in, and believe it. Reading it aloud will cause you to begin the transformation even quicker. When you read it with conviction, it will change you. You will see yourself in a new light. You will do the things necessary to make those statements true. Your mind doesn’t want to have discord. You will unconsciously take the steps to change what needs changing. One day, you will realize that what you have written on lime green is true!
It is a process. Don’t be discouraged that you haven’t lost all the weight or you made 3 sales instead of 5 this month. Continue to recite and believe. Your mind is your most powerful tool. If you can change it – you will succeed.
Michelle Froedge is a residential Realtor and Principal Broker in the Greater Nashville and Williamson County areas of Tennessee. Wife to Robert, “Mom” to Tyler and Livvie, Auntie to Zelamie, she is a vegetarian and sings in her spare time. Michelle has lived in Nashville and Franklin since 1997 and has been selling homes since 2004.