How Buying a House Can Help you Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions
According to Google searches, the top 2017 New Year’s Resolutions have to do with getting healthy, organized, living life to the fullest, learning new hobbies, spending less and saving more, traveling, and reading more. You might wonder how buying a house can help you keep those resolutions. Well, let me tell you.
- Save More and Spend Less: When you buy a house, you have to save money for the down payment and a lot of buyers put themselves on a budget in order to save before and after their big purchase. So, buying a house will help you save more and spend less.
- Get Organized: When you move, you pack up your belongings. This is the perfect time to donate unused items, recycle, and get rid of things you just don’t need anymore. You don’t want to take all that stuff to a new house. Getting organized is a by-product of buying a house.
- Reading More: If you have ever bought a house, you know there is a ton of paperwork to be completed in order to make an offer to purchase and finalize the sale. Now, it may not be the self-help type books you were thinking of, but I guarantee you will learn something. You can’t buy a house without reading, so check that one off the list, too.
- Getting Healthy: There are a few ways to get healthy by buying a house. First, you will likely be much more physical than normal, due to packing and unpacking, lifting, moving, etc. Second, many people eat more meals at home after they buy a house which is typically healthier than eating at a restaurant (you’ll also save money). Third, you will be so exhausted from the whole process that you will sleep great. Eating better, exercise and adequate sleep are the main ingredients of getting healthy!
- Learning New Hobbies: Chances are, there will be things that need to be put together, hooked up, and set up at your new home. You may find that you like being handy. You may also need the perfect art piece or photograph to go in the new living room and instead of buying it, you may paint it or use camera skills you didn’t know you had. And, that bathroom that needs to be re-tiled might be a great opportunity to learn that skill. Arts, crafts, photography, landscape architecture, decorating, and handyman projects are all things you may find you really enjoy.
- Live Life to the Fullest: Most Americans have a goal of owning their own home at some point. For most, reaching goals is part of living life to the fullest. So go ahead, take the plunge and see even more dreams come true and goals reached.
- Travel: Well, this one might be a stretch, but, you will certainly travel a lot during and after you purchase a new house. It will likely be to places like the hardware store and big box retailers, but you will definitely be on the move and not in any hurry to get out of town since you will want to spend your time in your awesome new house!
Michelle Froedge is a residential Realtor and Principal Broker in the Greater Nashville and Williamson County areas of Tennessee. “Mom” to four-legged fur babies, Tyler and Livvie, Auntie to Zelamie, she is a vegetarian and sings in her spare time. Michelle has lived in Nashville and Franklin since 1997 and has been selling homes since 2004.